Friday, February 1, 2013

Amanda-Leigh's Bittersweet Baby Helen



The morning of February has beckoned to me from the castles of the land. Last night, January came to a close. My night ended with thoughts of the college I once attended and the town I grew up in. Perhaps the reminiscing was due to a lack of caffeine in my bones. Ahh, a sweet stimulation that ends a nagging reflection of the past. This is a false sense of stimulation, and one I do not recommend to any person. Realism is painted in color while romanticism only gives off black and white. There is no depth to romanticism. If we prick romanticism, it does not bleed. If we prick realism, the colors are real colors that are not pretty. Would we expect anything else?

As I write this morning, I remember a little African American girl from Oklahoma City that I named Baby Helen. In 2009, I met this precious, curious girl when I visited my husband in Oklahoma City. We were on a public bus at night, and an extremely young African American got on the bus with a group of children. One of these children was a little girl – I would say about three or four – who had on a pink coat and braids in her hair. This little girl’s smile and hand melt my heart. This girl and I played with each other’s hands as we rode around. I fell in love in a mother’s sense. This little girl made me feel happy. The little girl had button eyes, a small nose, and a small mouth I would to have fed baby food and crushed fruits and vegetables.

I imagined holding this little girl in my arms at night as I sang to her. Granted, I am no Sarah Brightman, but I do try. This little baby would become an angel in my arms. We would bring in the morning light with each other’s quiet love. Somber, I call this. To be more exact, sweet somber. There would be no crying inside either of our hearts. This little girl would be loved and safe by those who love me. This little girl would have a sweet younger brother to play with. This little girl would have to be careful and not make her brother grumpy by pulling his tail. I love this little girl, Baby Helen. Baby Helen and I have been through everything together in my imagination.

The grim reality of Baby Helen’s life is that she may never grow up to experience pure, wholesome love. I saw Baby Helen’s biological mother on the bus that night, and I was extremely disappointed. This young mother had a group of biological children who called her “Mother.” This woman’s I-could-care-less expression told me she was not as into the whole concept of motherhood the way I am at age thirty-three. Motherhood was the easiest thing to produce but the hardest responsibility to uphold. Motherhood for this mother did not seem to be understood. I was the mother in this situation. I played with her daughter as she sat back, exhausted. I gave this little girl love. This mother gave her child no words of encouragement.

February has approached. Ode to this bittersweet February! This is Black History Month. I am a young white woman celebrating Black History Month. Black history has affected my own life. Growing up, I learned about the grim history of our beloved African American population. I learned that an African American woman named Rosa Parks refused to move to the back of the bus. At the time, African Americans were not allowed to sit at the front of the bus, drink from water fountains white people drank from, or attend classes with white people. This brave and bold woman was probably tired and did not care which seat she sat in. This move led a change in America.

In modern times, racism is still alive and active in America. One prime example is the length of time for the February 26, 2012 murder trial for Trayvon Martin to go to trial. A year has almost and there is no sight for justice to be sought in his case. There is really no hope for George Zimmerman to be brought to justice. I am doubtful he will spend any time behind bars for this brutal murder of a youth. Trayvon Martin’s family deserves to have closure and justice. They need to be provided with peace instead of doubt and disappointment from our judicial system.

Disappointment is a common feeling among African Americans. I was surprised to read that Margaret Sanger once spoke to a group of female Ku Klux Klan members. But why did this news not surprise me? Sanger did create a pill that would decrease the African American population. The horrific lynchings of African Americans are also grim realisms in our history. This history is a painful picture that can never be provided with justice or closure. African Americans have suffered greatly for their freedom and civil liberties in America. We have not provided our brothers and sisters with the great respect and equality they deserve. We have only provided them with disappointment, according to our history. We have failed to provide them with launching pads frogs use to leap from. We have stolen their lily pads and replaced them with cold water to sink into.

I think about my Baby Helen as I close. I loved this little girl who stole my heart. Race played no part in this decision. This little girl loved me for the motherly woman I was. I did have a physical disability. From a child’s perspective, this did not matter to her. What mattered was the fact that I gave this child attention her mother could not give. Perhaps this vicious cycle was passed down? I loved this little girl because I saw so much hope and dreams that lay ahead of her as if she had been born from my own warm womb. What people may have thought was of no great importance to me. What I could offer this little girl meant more to me than a world of oppression and suffering. For the time we spent together, I had the time to romanticize the situation through my own eyes and not the eyes of grim realism. As far as I was concerned, realism could take a hike. Romanticism could last forever. This girl was a part of me and she will always  be a part of me until the final seconds of my last breath. This little girl breathed life into my soul. She provided me with a world that had no discrimination, stigmas, stereotypes, etc. This little girl made me feel safe and loved the way my son does each day. If only kidnapping had been legal in my state! If only we did not have to part ways for the night. Sometimes parting is the sweetest sorrow for the heart, and so is being an actor on a stage that never seems to make sense.

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything” – William Shakespeare, All The World’s A Stage

Dedicated with love to my children, Baby Helen, who I love and pray for daily, and Luigi, who came along afterwards

No comments:

Post a Comment