Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Amanda-Leigh and the Great Act of Humanity



My faith in humankind was restored last night. I was able to sleep better. Earlier in the afternoon, my sleep medicine fell out of my husband’s coat pocket. Since the weather had turned from nice to nasty, my husband wanted me to stay inside our home while he went to the closest pharmacy to get my refill of Sonata. This unfortunate experience caused our tempers to flare up at each other and utter chaos.

My husband searched his coat pockets. I then searched his coat pockets. After awhile, I could picture myself on every news station and inside every media outlet in our state. The headline would read Woman with a Physical Disability Arrested on Distribution Charges. This created anxiety for me since my name and address were on the outside label. Thankfully the pharmacy was out of an entire month’s supply of Sonata and only five pills were inside. This turned out to be a miracle in my defense. This meant if the medication had been picked up by the wrong hands, I would still be able to have a refill on Friday.

My husband reported the missing medication to the pharmacy. An employee promised to call him if the medication was returned. After a couple hours, my husband received the phone call. Somebody had found my medicine on the ground in the grocery section. This seemed unbelievable in this day and age. The honesty of the person was admirable. I felt extremely grateful God put my medication in the right hands. The opposite has been featured in our news media too much. A miracle this great does not happen too often. Too often, a prescription falls into the wrong hands. This is what the media covers.

What the media fails to cover are people like me who have prescriptions returned. The negative effect of not having the prescription to me would have meant endless nights of not having enough sleep. I would have had to sleep in the daytime. I would not have been able to meet my daily goal of exercising to keep blood clots away. I would have been moody with my husband. I would have faced being a victim of a criminal act. I would have had to live with the fact that the medication could have possibly hurt somebody else’s life by unintentionally feeding their prescription addiction.

What I am grateful for the most in this happy ending is the fact that the Good Samaritan exhibited a good moral characteristic. Being an honest person is something to be admired. I admire this nameless person for restoring a sense of humanity. As I mentioned before, I was able to sleep better. I was also to pray thanksgiving to God. As much as I try to imagine who the person was, I am still unable to. What I do know is this: we need more wonderful people in our modern world! God bless this person! May your kindness, honesty, mirth, and love of mankind continue on until the day you can no longer breath. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Amanda-Leigh's Web Link for Tuesday:

Sermons from the First United Methodist Church of Stillwater, Oklahoma

 http://fumcstw.org/sermons

(Personal Note)

As I have listened to these sermons, I have learned more than words will ever be able to describe. The sermon from this past Sunday spoken by Bishop Robert Hayes, Jr. included Mark Twain, Helen Keller, and Dr. Pepper. Literature, a great female advocate for people with physical disabilities, and my old favorite drink were wrapped up into one great sermon! This sermon should be posted on the site soon. Please enjoy these sermons. I sure do!

No comments:

Post a Comment