Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Power of an Imagination



Everything seems to be going better in my home. After having a headache last night, I feel better this morning. I was able to communicate how my husband’s constant obsessive worrying about medicine affected me. When my husband worries, I feel stressed out. This has been happening since we went out to eat on January twenty-third, the anniversary of my last battle with a blood clot.

Over the past few months, my husband has been taking a sleeping medicine known as Klonopin. Recently in my husband’s recovery group, a man joined for his addiction to Klonopin. My husband described the man as having bruises on his face because of fights. The man’s wife left him because of his verbal abuse. This woke my husband up. My husband was heading down the same path with me.

Since being off of Phentermine, my husband has been a bit obsessed with my recovery. He blames himself for blowing me up last year with food. Things did get worse in my marriage since the twenty-third. I told my husband to call his doctor or we were going to part ways. I was feeling stressed out, moody, agitated, and not wanting to be at home much. Since the temperatures outside were low, I could not go outside.

One afternoon – I believe Friday – my husband called one of his friends in recovery to discuss his behavior towards me. The man told my husband to concentrate on his own recovery and let me deal with mine. There have only been one or two times my husband has gotten out of line since this talk. Each time since, I have put my husband in his place.

Yesterday was a prime example. My husband had an eye appointment. When my husband is alone, he has a tendency to dwell on the negatives of everything. This is part of his mental illness. My husband was worried about his liquid Trileptal would be switched to the pill form and approved by his insurance. He was worried about having to go back to a psychiatric hospital if he had a relapse. My husband worried about everything under the big bright sun.

I told my husband to have faith in God. I told him other things as well, such as being proud of how far he has come in recovery. I wanted to lift my husband’s spirits. I did put my husband in his place but in a nice way. I do not need to be mean to get my points across. My husband knows I love him and want the best for his life. He thanked me for putting him in his place. Being appreciated is something I look forward to.

Living with a mental illness is not easy for my husband. I believe my husband is worried I will leave him. One of his male friends from college in New York kept going inside hospitals. At the time, the man was married. He would take his medications at different times of the day or he would forget. Eventually the wife became tired of this behavior. She moved to Atlanta with their young daughter and filed for divorce.

I married my husband for the man he was. I did not see my husband as larger than life the way I did with another in my younger days. I did not paint my husband out to be somebody I wanted him to be. I saw my husband’s compassion towards his church and love of friendships. My husband seemed real to me. My husband loved me for me and did not panic about little issues with my physical disability. My husband has poetry from his college years that I love to read. His poetry provides me with hope.

Last night, my husband told me Hastings has begun to buy records. I told my husband he should keep his family records. As he was going to walk away, I pulled him closer. Maybe I was having a moment of break down. I usually don’t become sentimental over things like this but I was last night. I told my husband I do not have anything materialistic from my paternal grandmother. The only connection I have to my grandmother is a love of the criminal justice system. We also attended the same college. We have dark brown hair. We both love to smile and laugh. We love people.

Other than that, I do not have anything else of my grandmother. When I read Saturday Matinee by Maxine Neely Davenport, one of many of my grandmother’s younger sisters, I am able to have more of a connection with both women. I know Grandma would be one proud big sister if she were alive today. My grandmother has several wonderful sisters, a brother, a sister-in-law, nieces, nephews, and greats. My grandmother is inside of us each day that passes.

My grandmother is no longer in our my world through material possessions. Grandma is in my world through my imagination. When I was younger, I used to imagine what smelling Grandma’s clothes would be like. I wondered if she looked in her mirror each morning as she applied lotion and make-up for work. I wondered what clothes Grandma wore to work each day. I do know that Grandma was a lady in every way. I like to think about the woman Grandma. This did not seem real to me in my early years. In a young person’s eyes, a grandmother is romanticized. A grandmother can do no wrong or suffer from any pain. A granddaughter would love to take that pain away from her grandmother so she could live longer.

As a thirty-three year old wife and mother of a small Chihuahua, I see Grandma in a new light. I wonder what Grandma would look like in the clothes I pick out for her to wear. I am sure she would look lovely in a light pink sweater with white jeans. I am sure Grandma would smell good in perfume. I am sure she would look beautiful wearing black sandals inside her home. This is the image I see of Grandma. I imagine Grandma in modern times instead of the woman she was thirty-years ago. Grandma was one beautiful lady, and in my mind, she still is. Grandma had a glow that showed the radiant woman she was.

I do not know if Grandma liked dogs. I am sure she would love Luigi, her great grandson. I am sure Luigi would lay on Grandma’s lap the way I used to for hours at a time. I imagine Grandma would play hide-and-seek with Luigi and act silly with him the way she did with me. I like to imagine Grandma kissing the top of Luigi’s head with her angelic lips. I imagine Grandma smiling down at me as I am by her feet admiring her shoes. I imagine Grandma’s smile the way I do writers composing great characters in stories. I do not believe any great writer could have ever written Grandma’s part in this world to be the way she was to her youngest granddaughter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment