Saturday, February 9, 2013

Letting Go of The Simpsons



Last night I had to turn off The Simpsons. I did surprise my husband by this action. My husband knows exactly how I feel about the literature. I refuse to watch any show that is going to be offensive to my chosen profession. The comment made by a weak representation of the literature field was that manuscripts were chosen by “pill popping literature students.” This comment felt like nails being scratched on a chalk board in the olden days. I was horrified by the comment.

Perhaps I am too sensitive. Perhaps nobody else has stood up against The Simpsons. I do have to wonder how many impressionable young minds have been influenced by last night’s episode. After I heard the comment, I had to turn off the television. I have worked so hard writing each morning and in literature courses for readers to feel the complete opposite of the message from The Simpsons. Basically, my interpretation is that only idiots in our modern world write literature and pill popping literature students choose to edit their work. Also, literature is meant for marketing purposes only. The aim is to sell literature.

I chose to enter the literature field simply because I was vulnerable to its power. This is not a bad thing to admit. When I was a child reading Zoo Books and other hand-me downs from my older cousins, new worlds opened up to me. When I read a story about a young girl around my age tried to grow her hair into a ponytail, the message from literature provided hope. Literature has been the best form of coping in my life. When I read a piece of literature, I feel happier. I feel that expressing myself through words is acceptable. Literature provides me with power. Literary characters who have been victimized by the cruel wrath of their world have been dear to my heart. I love the writers’ pens whose minds have created them. I am able to run further with their creations. This brings joy to my life and world.

When I took Composition I, Composition II, and Responding to Literature in my early adult years, these courses were extremely challenging. My Composition II course and Responding to Literature were during the summer of 2001. Why I chose to take two literature courses during an eight week time frame is still something I will never understand. This provided me with a sense of discipline. My professors expected me to pay attention in their courses, think hard about the content I was writing over, and use skills I had learned. I am able to reflect on these courses with fondness and love. I still have my first literature textbook that nobody touches.

I have literature textbooks in my home that are sacred to me next to the Holy Bible. I have had to tape the cover of my English literature textbook. Literature textbooks represent a piece of who I have become today. When I first took English Literature and American Literature last year, I can honestly say I used the experience as a test. I wanted to see if I still had a burning passion and desire for the literature field. I wanted to make sure this was still my divine calling. I needed to see if everything in literature still made as much sense as in my early adulthood. The more literature courses I have taken, the more everything makes sense. I receive answers to life from literature the way I do from my Bible. I am able to evaluate the world’s issues and environments in the same manner.

For a media outlet to condemn a profession that began in caves and eventually onto pen and paper is uncalled for. Impressionable young minds can be affected if this message is sent in a harmful way. If I had a human child of my own, she would not be watching this negativity. I would be trying to teach her to love literature while this media outlet would be going against my parenting.  I do not want the field of literature to condemned period. This was done a demeaning and disrespectful way. I am able to walk away from The Simpsons the way I did with Dr. Pepper and sweets. None of these man-made products point straight ahead toward my goal of leading a happy, healthy lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment