Thursday, January 24, 2013

Celebrating the Exodus of Physical Bondage



Yesterday was the second anniversary of me not being physically admitted to a hospital in my state for an active blood clot. My mood the previous night was blue. I had every right to feel depressed when remembering the traumatic impact Margaret Sanger Seely’s invention of birth control, or simply the pill, had on my health and life as a newlywed in 2010. I was at a convenient store about a year and a half ago when a news debate came on the television with supporters of the pill. Tears came to my eyes.

I left the convenient store after I bought a soda pop and an egg sandwich. I no longer wished to place myself in that situation. The situation I am referring to is the vulnerable state of emotions. Sometimes in modern times when I think about Margaret Sanger Seely, I still have a hard time with forgiveness. Since this persistent advocate of Planned Parenthood passed from the world, she was never able to be charged with felonies of third generation birth control killing women in our modern times. If the first generation birth control was remotely like first generation medications of SSRIs, MAOIs, and anti-psychotics, I am unable to even begin to imagine what the side effects would have been like.    

There is the valid argument of “I have the right to what goes into my body as a woman.” Since I do not practice the Catholic faith, I do not use my faith in this argument. I use what I know to support my argument against birth control in my own life. Since I have a history of blood clots, I am unable to take hormone replacement treatment. This meant when planning my hysterectomy, my female doctor had to base her decision on this fact. Since I am on a daily Aspirin regiment, I watched a recent news segment where this could possibly cause blindness if used long term.

All of this combined bondage would probably cause stress on any person. I had travelled with my husband to his monthly appointment during the week of July 23, 2010. Celebration of fifty years of the pill appeared on the cover of Time magazine along with the dispenser of birth control. I opened up the article and read about how wonderful this new creation saved so many women from having unwanted babies during the Hippie generation. Margaret Sanger Seely was jailed a few times, fled the country, and returned to continue to press birth control on the market of medicine. For funding, Seely used the inheritance from a woman whose husband had passed away from a mental illness. In literary terms, reading this article foreshadowed the ending of my week. This article provided glamour and a great deal of respect to the founding of a pill that has been in our nation for over fifty years.

After I returned home from the hospital the first time in 2010, I logged onto my computer to research the pill. The discovery shocked me. Margaret Sanger Seely dabbled in the field of eugenics of African Americans. Much like Hitler’s genocide of Jews in Concentration Camps, this American woman wanted the African American to decrease in size. So, she created the pill. I wrote daily and prayed daily. I needed answers on finding ways to forgive this woman. Before Jesus’s death, he prayed for God to forgive his enemies who had persecuted him, flogged him, and crucified him. I needed to find that internal strength so I could be able to move on with my life.

Two years have passed since my last hospital stay. I don’t really think about Margaret Sanger Seely much, and I don’t think about the pill much either. I have learned to accept that several politicians and supporters of the pill will never be able to travel down the rocky road that has led me to grace. That road is never going to be traveled by me again. I have written over that time, cried over the emotions, and I sought and was granted a divorce from 2010. I am able to see my life as a celebration. I have celebrated two years of living without blood clots. Other women have not been as lucky or blessed to have been rescued from this deadly and evil silent killer.

I decided to make a celebration out of yesterday. I received a credit card payment in the mail of owing nothing. That was something to celebrate. My son began barking at me angrily before my husband and I went out to eat to celebrate. I celebrated holding my son on my lap as I tried to explain the unfair rules of our society opposing pets in public places. I enjoyed chowing down on turkey, lettuce, tomatoes, and mayonnaise on sour dough bread. And, learning from being on Phentermine, I saved the second half of my sandwich. I took the survival skills I had learned over the past two years and applied them to my life today, or in modern times.

I do wish to include a note about Phentermine before I close for the morning. Two side effects I dealt with during the eight week period of being on Phentermine included severe constipation and acne. As a woman who already suffered from constipation, this increased in pain. I honestly do not know if I would recommend Phentermine to another person with a physical disability. I am able to handle physical pain while another person in a wheelchair may not.

One thing that really helped me deal with the pain of living with blood clots was journaling. By journaling, I don’t mean writing a skeleton of my feelings. I included everything from hurt, pain, anger, wanting to see Margaret Sanger Seely locked up in jail and me being the corrections officer on duty 24/7, and gutting everything out. I had to open up with the core of everything. I had to exhibit discipline in my writings as I grew. I had to leave pain where pain belonged. This does not mean those feelings have completely left my mind. I have to remember that the pill can never hurt me physically again. This is one area where I am completely satisfied. I am able to embrace being called a survivor.

In loving memory of our friends and family who have passed from this world too soon




Web Links:

The Truth About Margaret Sanger

http://www.blackgenocide.org/sanger.html

MargaretSanger, Founder of Planned Parenthood

http://www.dianedew.com/sanger.htm

Sterilization, Eugenics, and Margaret Sanger by Miriam Reed

http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~ppennock/doc-eugenics.htm

The Eugenic Value of Birth Control Propaganda by Margaret Sanger

http://www.nyu.edu/projects/sanger/webedition/app/documents/show.php?sangerDoc=238946.xml

US House De-Funds Margaret Sanger's Planned Parenthood

http://www.examiner.com/article/us-house-de-funds-margaret-sanger-s-racist-legacy-planned-parenthood

No comments:

Post a Comment