Friday, January 18, 2013

Amanda-Leigh Remembers the Legacy of Dear Abby



This morning I reflect on the death of one of America's most beloved advice columnist, Dear Abby. The woman behind Dear Abby was a woman named Pauline Philips. On January 16, 2013, Phillips passing from our world left an important imprint on her faithful fans throughout the past decades. Phillips is survived by a devoted husband, son-in-law, daughter, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren crying over the loss of their wife, mother, grandmother, mentor, best friend, and female educator. As an expert advice columnist, her grown daughter,  Jeannie Phillips has written words of love and condolences to grieving readers under the beloved pen name Dear Abby for decades. As this daughter grieves, our prayers and love is sent out to the survivors of this lady of the computer and pen. Several young women like me are unable to understand what losing our beloved mothers is like. We pray we never have to walk in this beautiful woman’s shoes until we are around her age and our mothers are in their nineties or one hundred so Willard Scott can feature their photos on his daily clip of who has turned one hundred.

When I read about Dear Abby’s death, I knew I would be writing a tribute to this smart, independent, and often times as blunt and blunt can be. I knew I would be honoring a great lady named Pauline Esther Phillips. As an advanced reader, a house wife, and mother, Phillips read an article in her daily newspaper that displeased her. This inspired Phillips to phone the editor and tell the person she could write articles much better than the printed staff writer. This assertiveness and self-confidence on Phillips behalf landed her a lifetime of social advocacy as the advice columnist known to the world as Dear Abby, better known as Abigail von Buren.

I was introduced to Dear Abby at a young age. Each morning my maternal grandmother would read Dear Abby’s column and the obituaries in the local newspaper. If anybody needed advice, Dear Abby was one woman to write. So was her twin sister Dear Ann. Dear Ann Landers became the pen name for Eppie Lederer. I became a big fan of Dear Abby.

In my Composition I course in college, I wrote a paper on some advice Dear Abby provided for a reader. What the reader asked and what advice was given are beyond my recollection. All I remember is writing about advice Dear Abby gave. I am sure my professor never had a college student write over advice from Dear Abby before. Times were changing in 2000. Dear Abby’s advice needed to be brought into the college atmosphere. I am sure her advice column was read by young ladies on fresh, new campuses across America when Phillips was active in her writings.

This morning I reflect on the woman Pauline Phillips was during her lifetime. I am able to remember Mrs. Phillips as a classy lady. In every picture, I remember this woman wearing long sleeved blouses or dresses. I never have seen a picture of Mrs. Phillips wearing something other than respectful and elegant. Elegant is one description I use when referring to Mrs. Phillips. The Phillips marriage ended with over seventy three years of marital bliss.

Over the years, I have planned out letters to Dear Abby in my head. Never did I write any down on a computer or paper and pen. Today as I write over what this strong, independent woman of the pen and paper has meant to me, I do not believe that any advice I sought help with could ever come close to the amount of years of dedication the woman provided for America. This woman’s advice brought awarenesses to marriage, family, illnesses, diseases, birth control, relationships, neighbors, and growth. This woman provided Americans with an understanding listener. This woman made sense. This is the real reason I have been a devote Dear Abby supporter. This week I have learned the lady Pauline Phillips is not immortal as much as I loved the idea. This woman was able to live a good ninety-four years in this ever-changing world. This is what I remember today. I am able to realize that really good strong independent men and women in our would have been changed by Dear Abby and Dear Ann's words of encouragement.

One of the greatest characteristic traits I have learned from the woman behind Dear Abby is the process of creating changes in our world. I do not know if Dear Abby ever addressed the issue of women with physical disabilities or the challenges we face. This was probably before her time. The woman showed me that women should have loud clear voices in the field of writing. Writing is no longer only a man's field. Being able to write is a gift from God that several people with physical disability have had to learn and adapt to. This woman taught me how to reach out to other women for support. This woman taught me that I could become any profession that is legal (and I do emphasize the word legal). This woman taught me that words of encouragement could save people who may be struggling in our world. This woman gave me the strength I needed to heal from the cruel wrath of this world. 
 
How does a young female fan say farewell to her favorite female advice columnist? This is one question only the original Dear Abby could answer. Thank you, Mrs. Phillips, for providing several young Americans with a strong sense of direction that is genuine and sincere. You never once disappointed your faithful readers. You truly were one of a kind. You shaped our country for the better. Your memory and words of wisdom will continue to live on through the American people. God bless you as you become reunited with your lovely twin sister. May God provide comfort to your family, friends, and faithful fans. Thank you for your strong gift of words throughout the years. Our mornings began brighter because you were an important part of our newspapers.

Our world mourns the loss a lovely lady named Pauline Phillips, who became known as the American advice columnist known as Dear Abby. Phillips was born on July 4, 1918 and ended her journey on January 16, 2013. Phillips went home to be with her identical twin sister, Eppie Lederer, who was born on July 4, and went home on June 22, 2002.


 Apparently nobody warned Dear Abby or her twin sister to run away from fine literature or writing each day either. This is the way I see myself each day. Dear Abby truly was a beautiful lady like her twin sister. Both women gave of themselves unselfishly to the women of our world. Dear Abby's desk is filled up with papers, pens, and pencils the way mine is. I guess Dear Abby is the same way I am in the belief that every book, writing, and paper should be nearby to use as references. 







This morning this beautiful card of encouragement and support was given to me by my wonderful husband of almost three years. We are going to be married for three years on April third. We will be celebrating our seventy-third wedding anniversary in seven decades. I wish "in sickness and in health" could be doubled in years at times. I am truly grateful for thoughtful advice columnists, Can This Marriage Be Saved? in Ladies Home Journal, and strong feminine writers who have paved the way for modern women to become mature adults in our society. How can I not include Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Meridel LeSeuer, strong friends along with the women in my family? This card represents each of you! If I could have permission from the Stanton and LeSeuer families, I would love to make greeting cards with their pictures on the covers. 

Amanda-Leigh's Youtube Video of the Day:

"I Will Remember You" by Sarah McLachlan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSz16ngdsG0
This video lyrics provide the words I feel for the loss of our beloved media icons.


No comments:

Post a Comment