Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Amanda-Leigh Discusses Her Mid-Western Oklahoma Roots



Before waking up this morning, I dreamed I moved back to my childhood hometown of  Anadarko. The steps to the Post Office were still high. The sign with Kermit the Frog was not around. I do not know where I lived at in the dream. I was able to attend a church service at the First Christian Church and reunite with faithful members who have attended for over thirty years. I became reunited with my beloved kindergarten teacher and met her family. I did not really wish to wake up from this dream.

Since being born in the county of Grady, I have seen reports on the news where crime is spiraling out of control. A small boy made news attention when he pretended to use a gun in his class. My guess is the old wholesome fun games of Cops and Robbers and Cowboys and Indians is a thing of the past. My birth place has experienced its fair share of crimes. I have not experienced dreams of returning to Chickasha. This may seem peculiar to some people.

I have my reasons. One of the main reasons I have not wished to return to Chickasha is the simple fact I experienced life in the hospital as a baby without a physical disability. This scares me and why not? From December 28, 1979, to March of 1980, I was able to experience the freedoms and civil liberties every baby shared.  If I returned to this secret garden, the gate would be locked. I would never be able to unlock the gate. I could not unlock a secret garden that never grew with me into the adult years. I am unable to see life from the perspective of a non-disabled woman. I am able to see life through the perspective of a woman living with a physical disability. Perhaps I do not want to see the hospital I was born in because I may wind up leaving bitter and angry. Then my husband would have to comfort me and I would need to have one-on-one counseling.

I don’t want to see the original place my history began. I am afraid of feeling disappointed that I let God down for not remaining in his image. God does not have a physical disability. Women carry babies out of hospitals each day. Some of these babies do have physical disabilities while others do not. I was lucky to have been born a baby who showed no signs of a physical disability. The hospital I was born in – Grady Memorial Hospital – symbolizes this to me. The hospital has no imperfections as far as I am concerned. This hospital produced a healthy active baby who exceeded a medical doctor’s prediction that I would not amount to a hill of beans. This hospital is the place my non-disabled side resides in. I am never able to get this side back.

I do not need to be insane and create memorial for my non-disabled side. Being born inside of a memorial hospital is good enough for me. I came into this world as a non-disabled baby. Since I was too young to remember the feelings associated, I am unable to reflect back and write about the experience. Perhaps if I had been lied to and told I was born disabled, I may not have struggled so much. If reality had been denied to me, I probably would have never had a need to mourn the loss of the non-disabled self. I would have probably never experienced self-pity or doubts about my abilities. I would have romanticized everything. The concept of reality, pain, oppression, and suffering would have no place in my world.

As comforting as this may seem, I do not believe this glazed donut of a world would have made me the woman sitting here today. As I look at my Weatherbug, to read the temperature, I am able to feel extremely blessed. Two years ago tomorrow, I discovered a small blood clot growing in my right leg. That’s right. On January 23, 2011, I was admitted to the Emergency Room along with the hospital. Previously, I had decided if another blood clot entered my body, I would die. The side effects of Warfarin Sodium were too much for me to handle. I wanted to divorce myself from the pain and misery of being a woman battling with blood clots. Stories in the media forbid me to have self-pity.

Serena Williams, a famous tennis star, suffered from a Pulminary Embolism, or PE. This means she had a blood clot in her lung. Williams claimed to have had several blood clots in her lungs. The recovery process almost took a year, and this is normal. Sometimes the process can last more than one year. There is no time limit on recovery. Williams wanted to return to tennis.

Hungarian actress Zta Zt Gabor experienced blood clots during this time as well. Her faithful elderly husband sat by her side through everything. Mrs. Gabor had to have a leg amputated as a result of a blood clot. The couple decided to adopt a child. The Hilton family laughed at this idea. Why not adopt a child? There are several children in our foster care system – both young and older – who can use the love of elderly parents. If God could let Sara give birth to Isaac at the age of ninety-nine, then anything is possible!

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/11/showbiz/gabor-conservatorship/index.html

Experiencing life as a woman with a physical disability is not easy. Before I found writing as an outlet, if I spoke up about my hardships, I was accused of having self-pity. So, I began to close up and repress my feelings. This is one place I never want to return. Same with Grady Memorial Hospital in Chickasha. I have risen above the non-disabled role I was born into. That role has never met me with grace. I never had the chance to mold that role into greatness. I am not defined by that role nor am I defined by my physical disability.

The great female writer Maxine Neely Davenport gave me the best advice, which is to write over subjects I know. What I know this morning is something made of greatness. Our world is great. Everything we are given should be cherished. Every research we do should be shared. Money is the root of all evil. Holding grudges is for children. Children playing good ol’ wholesome games is not wrong. Panicking will get a person nowhere. Taking responsibility means admitting fault and then changing. Being expressive and assertive are not bad for women if done in considerate manners.

Education saved my life. I am able to have a better understanding of our world. Instead of overreacting to people’s words and inappropriate comments on subjects, I am able to take comfort knowing there are alternatives to situations. For example, our internet databases are filled with resources that can benefit every person. I like to use facts in arguments supporting my defenses. If I can not find something, then I can ask for opinions on how a situation can be solved. Usually my gut instinct is right. I must be self-reliant in some cases and depend on what I have learned from this world. Being educated on subjects provides people with better futures.  

When I reflect on the city of Anadarko during the early 1980s, I am able to do so with the eyes of a little girl. The steps to the Post Office are probably easier to climb for me. The house I grew up in is probably remodeled or the fence has been torn down. The sweet lady from next door has probably passed on from this world. The school I began my days of education in is still actively running. I began school at Sunset Elementary School. When I look at beautiful sunsets on the horizons in the evenings, I feel good inside. Perhaps another child who attends Sunset Elementary is reading the same book on Noah’s Ark and looking up at the same colorful rainbow in the sky. At least I would like to think so.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment