Sunday, May 19, 2013

Amanda-Leigh and the Art of Humanity



I have two more weeks until the summer semester begins for college. On the home front, my husband and I are doing better. My husband and I have been raising our son, Luigi, and getting ready for summer to approach. As I write this, I do not feel as if I have been a faithful writer. At the beginning of the year, I had a goal of writing daily. I don’t know what happened to that goal. Too much stress came along and made the goal seem small.

Six months ago, I started a goal of losing weight. This goal has been an active part of my life. The second week of May caused me more stress than usual, so I ate more. This is where I can confess my sin. I noticed I gained a few pounds in pictures over the past couple weeks. Plus, the Oklahoma State adaptive sports program closed. The horse slaughter bill was passed on Good Friday. Everything added up. The world seemed to close in.

Over the weekend, I printed off ADA accommodation forms for my college. One responsibility I have is to get in contact with my professors to let them know I have a physical disability and will need them to work with me. I have already completed my responsibility and tried to get in contact with my professors. I have had to e-mail the Dean of English to help me with contacting my professors. Still, the professors did not respond. My husband has called both of my professors on my behalf. One professor provided a brief reply. My other professor has not bothered to contact me. I am interested to see how my first semester will go. As long as I am doing my part, everything will be fine as far as I am concerned.

I am looking forward to begin working on my Bachelors of Arts in Liberal Arts. I am aware art programs in my state were at risk for losing funding. As long as I can remember, the arts have been an important part of my life. For a person with a disability, a horse can also be considered an art as well as the adaptive sports program at Oklahoma State University. Combined, the arts provide us with talents and opportunities the majority of society may not understand. The arts have been taken for granted in my state.

For a woman in my late twenties, wheelchair basketball at Oklahoma State University made me want to go back to college and finish up. I researched the sports team to see how the members were doing and what made them change as individuals. Before I found out about this great team, I was merely surviving. I suffered from bitterness, resentment, and confinement. I survived by the false friend of depression. When I saw this team online, something powerful shot through my body. Cupid’s arrow had struck!! I fell in love with this new concept of being a born again woman. Thus, the disability became accepted in my life. This group of athletes showed me that I could become something larger than accepting life as it came. The old way of living was the same as taking a bite out of a chicken sandwich that already has a bite taken out (that really did happen to me).

I learned to not settle for anything in this world. By this time, I had begun to take an interest in my old flame, literature! The books I chose from the local library spoke to me. From literary characters, I learned more about life. I learned valuable life lessons. I never believed lessons in life could be taught in college. At the time, I was anti-college. College was about taking out student loans and going into financial debt, learning about historical figures who had no relevance in modern society, and a length list in my mind. This anti-college movement off and on during my twenties really led me nowhere. I do not even know where this trail of thought originated from.

I am not impressed with the thoughts I had during my anti-college movement days. As I look outside the window and reflect on the woman I was, I wonder where I would be today if things had happened differently in the past. One particular instance, what would have happened if a horse owner in Anadarko had really taught me how to ride a horse? From an early age, I enjoyed watching old shoot ‘em up Westerns. The horses carried people from town to town as they rode in carriages. The horses won races. Horse patrol was used by England law enforcement and early American law enforcement. Before rail way and telegrams, people heavily depended on horses. Horses were an active part of the culture and media.

 At camp at an early age, I witnessed first-hand how riding a horse could bring strength to a person with a physical disability. With assistance, riding a horse is liberating the same way of swimming. When I rode a horse, I felt more in control of my life. i had to be careful to not have muscle spasms while riding. I felt disciplined in my ways. Being on a horse made me want to take care of an animal the way horse owners groomed the one I rode on. Riding on the back of a horse showed me how to be more humane and understanding of animals needs and wants.

As I turn from the window of memory lane, I admit I was wrong about my thoughts in my early years. I remember the summer of 2001 when I entered Composition II and Responding to Literature. That summer, literature took on a whole new meaning. From watching the play, “A Doll’s House,” I learned about the role of womanhood in the home and society. I was mad at Torvald referring to Nora as a “spend-thrifter.” But I also asked why Nora let Torvald degreade to that level. I learned family traditions should be kept alive and active. I learned the ghettoes of New York City were hard to survive living in. I learned about the joys of learning how to drive. I learned that a marriage needs to have communication in “The Cathedral.” I experienced realism that summer in both courses. In Composition II, my professor enjoyed teaching the concept of “rhetoric.” That seemed to be his favorite word to use. I remember my fingers typing assignments left and right that summer.

Education is an important part of taking care of humanity and society. Being educated on alternatives to horse slaughter houses can save thousands of innocent horses. Oklahoma State University could have provided the adaptive sports program with a portion of income from regular sports activities and student tuition fees. There are other alternatives that should be considered before reaching the breaking point of giving the axe.

I am trying to psyche myself up for tornadoes and stormy weather. I don’t know if this will work. I still remember a tornado taking the life of a great bus driver and friend last year. I do not believe a person can ever be ready to hear (or read) that type of news. I have also been praying for a friend of my husband and mine who entered the hospital last week with fluid in his lungs. I have been praying for a few friends who are battling with cancer. I have been praying for innocent animals to be loved and cared for, especially horses, dogs, and cats. I have been praying for my son to be taught humanity towards other animals so he can make friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment