Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Amanda-Leigh Supports the Mayor of Pennsylvania


This morning after reading a report over Pennsylvania's Mayor Cassandra Coleman surviving a DVT, I found a comment that surprised me. I could not tell the poster’s gender nor his or her age. The poster seemed very upset that Mayor Coleman’s personal friend, Representative Phyllis Mundy, is wanting to create an awareness on her friend’s new lifelong diagnosis of keeping blood clots from entering her body. Point taken. So, those of who have been in Mayor Coleman’s shoes should stop our fight to save other men and women’s lives? We should make this our number one priority each day? We should not create signs and posters that provide statistics and facts about blood clots?

The poster is right about one thing. We do have digital technology that informs our public on blood clots. This lacks real in-depth education. Facts from medical journals and leading research hospitals do not provide the public with survivor’s stories or our tips we have learned from our traumatic experiences. Traumatic is one word I use to describe my two experiences with blood clots. When I read this comment, I felt refreshed on why I create an awareness of blood clots. I had begun to wonder why I felt so passionate about creating an awareness. Years have passed since I have been hospitalized. I have befriended other women who have been in my shoes. This is considered networking and reaching out for assistance.

When I entered the Emergency Room on the afternoon of July 23, 2010, something happened to me that I cannot explain today. I realized my life was too short for having regrets. I had not completed college at the time. I have my Associates degree in Liberal Studies, and I will soon be working on my Bachelor’s of Arts in Liberal Arts with an English concentration. I could not eat salads or anything with vitamin k while on the blood thinner. I eat salads daily along with those other delicious green vegetables. I felt like a failure that day. Now I do not. I still battle with severe depression. I still have nightmares from that time period and before. I still feel like I broke my promise to myself about not ever taking medicine again. The one medicine I did take landed me in the Emergency Room with both a PE and a DVT. Perhaps that was my punishment for being so misguided in my life and dropping out of college during my twenties. This is something I will never know. Why did blood clots happen to me?

This is why strong advocates fight for other people’s health and security each day. We do not personally know the people who may have a genetic trait to the blood clotting disorder. We feel as if we have a mission to serve and protect our communities by creating an awareness. We have our critics who think we should keep silent. Keeping silent was what landed us in the Emergency Room to begin with. When nobody comes forward and provides a personal testimony, other people suffer the same way. We do not have a light guiding us down a dark tunnel. We do not know what to do or how to respond to this situation. We suffer in silence.

My husband’s paternal grandmother passed away from a blood clot in 1995. My husband has been affected by blood clots. This is why I work out and try to live right. I do not wish to pass away from blood clots. I remember the sadness my husband felt when he watched me suffer greatly from blood clots. My husband would have made his grandmother proud. I do feel sadness that he could not sit by his grandmother’s side and feed her the way I fed my grandfather when he suffered from a stroke in 1995.

Suffering is not something I wish for anybody’s life. To watch somebody strong physically and then become paralyzed is also traumatizing. My grandfather suffered a series of strokes and he never recovered. Up until then, I believed Granddaddy to be immortal. No illness or disease could ever take Granddaddy away from me. He would be around forever. He would always be feeding his cows or bailing hay. He would always attend the First Baptist Church on Sunday mornings and return home to his lovely wife’s home-cooking. He would be there to watch his grandchildren and great grand-children’s life events. This is the image I love when I think about my Granddaddy. Why did a stroke have to happen to him? He was a wonderful Southern gent who stood by his family through thick and thin.

As I have written several times in the past, I strongly believe that education will best eliminate ignorance in our society. Yes, we have wonderful digital technology that brings public awarenesses of heart disease, cancer, disabilities, and so much more. Several survivors of these ailments have taken stands to provide personal journeys about their struggles and skills necessary for achieving hope.  This is what digital technology lacks. This world has made more sense to me since getting in touch with networks of women who have been in my shoes and reading articles over other blood clot survivors. We will always have critics who disagree with our paths. I look for comfort from those who have been down my path. Where will this path take me? How can I help other people with the information I have discovered?

Amanda-Leigh's Recommended Link:

State Gives New Attention to Deep Vein Thrombosis

http://www.timesleader.com/news/local-news/349402/State-gives-new-attention-to-deep-vein-thrombosis

No comments:

Post a Comment