Thursday, March 14, 2013

Amanda-Leigh Explores Transcendentalism



One thing Louisa May Alcott’s biography taught me is to never give up. Her golden days were spent writing for fourteen hours a day. For exercise, she would walk miles by foot. This young maiden’s experiences provided me with hope. If this great female writer could live life to the fullest, then certainly I could, too.

Miss Alcott lived during the Transcendentalism movement in literature. This movement began with British philosophers and writers. Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, and Bronson Alcott were the pioneers of Transcendentalism. There have been many definitions of Transcendentalism. The best definition refers to naturalism. Transcendentalism is a movement in literature that creates a natural feeling of being one with the environment. This can also be a spiritual experience. For example, later American writer Stephen Crane’s story of brotherhood in “The Open Boat” can support arguments of fitting into the Transcendentalist genre.

I also equate naturalism and Transcendentalism to the writings of British poets during the seventeenth century and beyond. As a guru of fine literature, I was assigned to read poetry from the greats of the British world. I remember during my high school days of English, I would groan inside when being assigned to read poetry. I really disliked dissecting poems the way a science student dissects frogs. After surviving blood clots as an adult, the process became more real to me. I would either have to learn terms in poetry to make my “A” or I would fail miserably. I chose to dig into the poetry and writings. I wanted to have a wealth of knowledge on these great writers. The more I read, the more I understood history.

In Introduction to Law Enforcement, the British were the main Sugar Daddies of knowledge. Our laws and philosophies stem from the British. Foot patrol, the most effective form of policing, came from Britain. The baton also came from Britain. Our ideas and thinking came from Britain. Being able to understand the writings of British literature seemed important to me. One, I learned from Peter Jennings’ biography that a great wealth of knowledge about the past will help a person understand the future better. Two, literature and law enforcement mix together. Three, learning British literature makes a person mature. Finally, the British seemed to have a strong sense of confidence in their world. Perhaps the latter is what attracts me to great authors such as William Wordsworth, Robert Browning, Virginia Woolf, and Mary Wollstonecraft.

The world of writing can be spiritual for most of its residents. The same is true for me as Bronson Alcott once proved. As an educator, Alcott strongly believed that children learned best by the Socrates style instead of rote memorization. In Socrates learning, Alcott presented a topic where students had to think outside the box. There were no exams that included memorization of facts. Socrates wanted his students to thrive by creating ideas and imaginations rote memorization failed to offer. This taught students that only one answer was not absolute, or fixed. Alternative answers were applicable. Going one step farther, this acceptance of new ideas and thought enabled students to branch out and become more tolerant of the abnormal. This can be equated with the liberated program style in music. Composers like Saint-Saens created new styles of musical expression by experimenting with ideas and thoughts.

I don’t believe the world was ready for Bronson Alcott. I believe Bronson Alcott might have been happier in our modern world residing over an independent charter school or virtual high school. Many people did not attend his lectures when he travelled. I would have probably attended every lecture of Alcott. This man’s writings prove himself to be a man beyond his years. I would have asked to become of his students. The greatest female student Alcott taught turned to write great novels. I believe Miss Alcott had a fear of her Father the way children are supposed to have. Fathers do not relish on mushiness from their daughters. This could be why Miss Alcott did not close her letters the same she did with female correspondences. I believe Miss Alcott understood her Father better than anyone else did. In her book, Miss Alcott of Concord,  Marjorie Worthington once pointed that Louisa May had a keen perception about her parents troubles better than her three sisters. Perhaps Louisa May felt the need to protect her parents’ financially and this was her duty in life. Much like Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Louisa May felt discomfort that she was not born a son. These patterns set through the years.

In closing, I encourage the avenue of literature in this world. I encourage the reading of the great British and American writers. Each day that passes is one that needs sharpening. I read biographies, stories, and listen to music. I love the arts. Without the arts, I do not know where I would be at this point. I would probably be a nomadic wandering wearing neon clothes. This is not a pretty sight. Neither is going a day without reading. I love to read. Reading loves me in return. Reading is my window to the world. Not a day passes where the blinds are closed to me. I love to explore new worlds and opportunities. This is where I am not turned down for employment for having a physical disability. This is where I can sit and read about birds and animals becoming personified by writers. I am able to dance at balls with nice gentleman callers. I am able to go on trips abroad and not worry about flight attendants freaking out about my physical disability. I am able to wake up and wear clothes I normally would not try. I am able to breathe literature and be held captive. The expressions written on pages are not words I wish to run from. See you in literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment