Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Amanda-Leigh's Third Wedding Anniversary





My husband and I will be celebrating our third wedding anniversary tomorrow. We were married before the emergency room visits for blood clots, medicine transitions, addictions, adopting our child, and college courses. I must admit the last three years of my life have definitely been eventful. I am looking forward to celebrating my wedding anniversary with the great man I married.

I married at age thirty. At thirty, I believed I was ready to become a wife. At twenty one, I believed the same. As a young woman fresh out of high school, I was in college with dreams of graduating from college with a Bachelors of Arts in English. I received praise from my Composition I and II professors at the time. I realized the dream of graduation but did not have the ambition of fulfilling that goal until my wonderful husband’s physical presence and prayers for me to strive to do better in my own life.

When I married at age thirty, I did not have maturity. I did not know exactly what I wanted in this world. Being a wife was something I did want. I had so much love to offer a man and I wanted to show this. I wanted a great man in my life who would return the love. I did not want to give more of myself than necessary before our wedding vows. This meant that we did not live together before marriage. I liked the freedom to come and go as I pleased. I liked to have space in my home. This is what I personally believe. I do not wish to force my beliefs on anybody or make a reader feel inferior or low. I am simply stating my personal beliefs.
  
By my husband waiting for me until our wedding day, he showed me a new set of American values that seems to be lost. He did not have to disrespect my womanhood. My womanhood still shone on our wedding day. My husband loved me for me. He did not wish to violate me. That part came after our wedding and behind closed doors. Nobody else needs to see our private, intimate moments. My womanhood was not dependent on a man during our courtship. I did not have to be the female version of The Courtship of Eddie’s Father.  I had no impressionable young children who were living with me who could say, “Mommy, you set a good example for me. I don’t want to live with anybody before I grow up and get married. I want to be just like you!” I continued to go out the way I always did and lived life to the fullest. I had no one waiting on me at home. 

Marriage is a lifelong commitment. I call marriage a life sentence. Marriage is not something that should be entered into lightly. Marriage should be taken seriously and discussed thoroughly before the wedding day. This means discussing personal family values, religion, backgrounds, gender roles in the home, raising children, finances, dreams, and hobbies. Marriage happens when two people meet in the middle in unity. One person alone cannot make a marriage work.

Marriage is not always easy. This I know. My husband’s personality changed greatly from his electroshock therapy treatments and medication changes. There are times we feel like wringing each other’s necks. Sometimes I feel like locking him out of our home. Sometimes we can’t handle each other’s mood. Sometimes we can be like vinegar and oil. In the end, we are able to hold each other in our bed at night with our tiny Chihuahua between us. We adore each other. We feed off of each other. We build each other up. My husband sure knows how to build his buttercup up. I am his "Gracie" and he is my "George."

My husband and I have not had the perfect marriage. Three years sure does feel like a long time. We have been through so much together in such a short time. I can still remember my husband on our wedding day. My husband was so nervous during our wedding ceremony that he kept kissing me. What a cutie! He reminded me of a kid in a candy store who had his heart set on one piece of candy. This is the feeling I love. My husband has sacrificed greatly for me to be the woman I am today. Even though the electroshock treatments did not get my husband off his medicine, he still has a heart of a sweet child. I still feel bad about putting my husband through several emergency room visits and hospital stays. In the end, we are still in unity. I love being married to my husband. 






No comments:

Post a Comment