Wednesday, December 26, 2012

My Christmas



This is the evening after Christmas. My Christmas tree sitting in the living room looks bare without presents. A good option I have could be to go out and buy Christmas presents for next Christmas. That would make my Christmas tree look alive and active for the year 2013. Or I could wait until next year the way most people do and buy Christmas gifts around November when there are sales.

One of my favorite events during Christmas is wrapping gifts. I have wrapping paper, bows, and ribbons saved from the previous Christmas. When I get the goodies out, I have great feelings inside. The joy of giving is always active each year. Giving a gift that is home wrapped means more to a person than giving a gift that is store wrapped. I am not sure if I have ever been given a gift that has been store wrapped. What I love about home-made wrapped gifts is the thought process and time the person has put into the effort. There is a lot of work and energy devoted to wrapping a Christmas present.

As a woman with a physical disability, I am unable to use my left hand well. This means I have to spend extra time wrapping presents. I have tape the wrapping paper down first and then fix the wrapping paper to be presentable. I have to cut wrapping paper to fit the ends exactly right. I have to fold the ends and figure out how to do this with one good hand. 
Putting a bow on a present with tape is another story. I figure this out also. I would estimate this process takes me a couple hours at most. Sometimes the process takes longer.

Gift wrapping is an enjoyable process for me. When I sit down to wrap a Christmas present, I am able to wonder how the person will like my present. The way my present is presented to the person makes a difference to me. I want my wrapped presents to make a person feel special and loved. I am blessed to share my life experiences with several loved ones and one special son who is chewing on a small dental bone my husband and I gave him for Christmas yesterday afternoon.

I watched the news early yesterday morning. I wanted to see if snow was really going to Oklahoma. The town that received two inches happened to be my birth place. This took me back to thirty two years ago. I have never really seen that hospital up close. That is fine with me, but I would like to know what the hospital looks like. The hospital I was born in will always remain an important part of my history. This is a hospital like any other hospital. And, yesterday, this hospital probably had snow surrounding its outside.

Yesterday was Christmas, I thought of Mary. In her time, as a pregnant wife, Mary’s search for a place to have Jesus ended when a vacancy became available at an inn. Instead of finding a nice, comfortable room inside Grady Memorial Hospital, Mary and Joseph found a place that had a manger for a baby bed. Their privacy became interrupted by three wise men (or astrologers) along with some of King Herod’s men. A star shone bright overhead in the night. As a young mother, Mary must have felt special. So many people had been sent to this inn to welcome the birth of her son. As Mary and Joseph were searching for a place to stay, the path did not magically appear in the sky. Mary and Joseph had to experience suffering with landlords and inns before they found the right inn keeper. After the birth of Jesus, the path was shown to other people.

When I think of Mary, I find her to be a strong young lady. This woman never gave up on herself. Mary made a wonderful wife and mother during her lifetime. When inn keepers had no vacancy, this did not stop a mother. This mother believed answers to prayers would be available. Mary was strong in her devotion to God and the Gospel. I am sure Mary struggled with her modern society, especially when her eldest son was persecuted and killed for being the Son of God. As a mother, Mary must have felt repulsed and disgusted with society. These people did know Jesus the way as she did. As a mother, she cried as her son hurt.
This Christmas I am grateful to have received cards that came from the heart. I am grateful for my wonderful friends. My friends have saved me from going off the deep end at different times during my lifetime. My friends have been real with me and given  honest and earnest values that set positive examples for my life. My friends have never steered me in the wrong direction.

 I am grateful for being blessed with a loving Chihuahua. As a young adult male, Luigi has no brother named Mario. Even though Luigi is an Italian name, Luigi’s ancestors originated from Mexico. This is ironic since Luigi’s adoptive Father’s paternal side of the family originated from Italy. Luigi is a sweet little dog who shows love to everybody. I do not believe Luigi realizes he is adopted. Luigi’s character is much like his Mommy and Daddy. We love to play, chase each other, hold each other tight, and snuggle together in our warm bed. There is enough room for all three of us!

Yesterday afternoon I found a Scripture passage that spoke to me. I really enjoy how poetic Matthew can be. As a student of poetry, I am sharing Matthew 5:3-11:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”   

Do I feel blessed? Do you feel blessed? I am blessed to have found an outlet to express my emotions and thoughts through writing. The most important thing I learned from taking a Women’s Literature course over the summer was to advocate for women’s rights. I saw the reason and need for this today. I deleted my previous writings on this site. I was upset about someone’s comment made to me earlier and I deleted everything. So, I do not have previous writings.

I would like to send out wishes for everybody to have a great evening. I am now finished working out and preparing for this evening. When I work out, I have time to think and settle down. The pain inside of me is released. Maybe this is a form of repression or feeling shut down. I do not know.  I need to find my answers by re-reading literary pieces written by feminist authors.This is my comfort zone, and these literary characters love me. That love is mutual. This is what I will be doing soon and I look forward to sharing my thoughts. I love going on a literary spree of writing. There is nothing quite like literature!

In God we trust,
Mrs. Amanda and my sweet Luigi

  

No comments:

Post a Comment